Even though the temperature still feels like summer here in sunny Florida, you can tell that fall is in the air. Crisp mornings and less humidity means cooler days are coming. This puts me in a cozy mood and makes me feel like baking. One easy and fun way to share my love of baking with my furry friend is through making easy homemade dog treats.
My favorite fall flavor is pumpkin. From pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks to fresh-from-the-oven pumpkin snickerdoodles, I love this gourd and how its warm flavor accents my baked goods. I can even share my favorite fall flavor with my dog by making easy homemade dog treats for him!
Baking For Your Dog
I created a recipe for easy homemade dog treats with pumpkin, peanut butter and whole wheat flour. You can whip up this recipe in just a few minutes and really please your pup. It uses ingredients you likely have on hand, so a trip to the store isn’t required.
These easy homemade dog treats call for canned pumpkin. This is actually a healthy ingredient for your pup. Canned pumpkin (not raw pumpkin or the sweetened pie filling) contains beta carotene which your dog’s body can convert to Vitamin A and fiber, which is good for his digestive track. The recipe also contains peanut butter, which dogs love.
When making these treats, it is important to be sure your peanut butter doesn’t contain any artificial sweeteners. Thes ingredients can be deadly to dogs. I used all natural peanut butter that I had ground fresh from Earth Fare. This only ingredient is peanuts, so I’m certain it was safe for my pup. Also, keep in mind these treats aren’t gluten free. If your dog has wheat sensitivities, it might be best to skip this recipe.
Without further ado, let’s preheat the over, put on our aprons and get busy in the kitchen. Follow this simple dog treat recipe!
Easy Homemade Dog Treat Recipe
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of canned pumpkin (I used Libby’s brand)
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- Sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, pumpkin, peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. I mixed the dough with a wooden spoon until it had the consistency of Play-Doh.
- Flour your work surface. Take half the dough and use a rolling pin to spread it out until its about ½-inch thick.
- Use bone shaped cookie cutter to cut out the treats. Polar Bear is a smaller fur baby, so I used a small cookie cutter. I ordered a set of dog bone shaped cookie cutters from Amazon.
- Place the cut-out dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the treats from the over and let them cool. Store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
This easy recipe for homemade peanut butter pumpkin dog is perfect for sharing. It makes about 2 dozen dog biscuits. Polar Bear has a few set aside for his buddies Kilo and Bravo and his cousin Milo, and I plan to make them again for an upcoming holiday cookie exchange — don’t forget the fur babies this season!
Looking for more Tips for New Dog Owners? Check out our other posts: